Faulty electrical equipment causes half of UK fires

Fire EngineAn investigation by Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service revealed that “half of all accidental house fires in 2010 and 2011 were caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment.”

In an article to co-incide with the launch of Electrical Fire safety week in January this year Stuart Garner, Oxfordshire County Council’s Fire and Rescue Service Risk Reduction Manager, said: “Just because there aren’t any flames, does not mean there isn’t a fire risk. Don’t over load sockets; plugging too many electrical appliances into one socket can lead to overheating and cause a fire. Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can be a real danger.”

Judith Heathcoat, Oxfordshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Safer and Stronger Communities, said: “It is truly shocking that half of the UK’s fires are caused by faulty or misused electrical equipment. It’s difficult to comprehend how a household today would get by without electrically powered items. They are safe to use if they are used properly and looked after by their owners.”

The same must be said about work places, be they workshops or home offices.  Your appliances do need safety checking. Plugs, cables and extension leads all get the once over in a PAT test. An extremely cost effective solution.